I’ve recently taken to drinking more water and less Coke through out the work day. My skin is definatley clearer, and smoother and I don’t even seem to miss my Coke’s anymore!
There are a few “facts” about the harmful effects of Coke to be found on the internet. (Just do a search on Water vs. Coke) The most important I think to note and most often missed is that the phosphoric acid in Coke interferes with the body’s ability to absorb and use calcium, particularly in women, making it a major contributor in the rise in osteoporosis. A lack of calcium is also noted to cause an increase in menstrual cramps. Got cramps? Drop that Coke!
Here’s a few facts about the need to drink water.
- 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
- In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.
- Even MILD dehydration will slow down your metabolism as much as 30%.
- One glass of water stopped midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.
- Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
- 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.
- A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.
- Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, slashes the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.