- Context: Think about the context in which this negotiation is taking place. It helps to think for a moment because you might realize there are elements that might come into play that you hadn’t really considered previously.
- Stakeholders: This is just thinking outside the box about who might be affected. These could be allies.
- Seriousness: Reality check on how big a deal this is, or isn’t. Will it matter in 10 years?
- Ongoing Relationship: I think about this inherently as I value relationships. I should consciously consider what I think a negotiation (or botched negotiation) might do to my reputation with this person. How much are you willing to spend of your personal reputation on a particular negotiation (helps keep emotions in check).
- Goals: What do you want? Don’t need to think about this too much, but could expand to think about alternate goals and options than just what immediately comes to mind.
- Court: Not usually relevant, but good to consider.
- Avoiding Court: Sometimes it works to your advantage. Basically need to do your research if this is a possibility.
- Distributive: Usually this is simple and you know what you want up front. You want a raise, but do you also want tuition reimbursement?
- Integrative: This might take more thought. Besides monetary things, what other perks could you seek?
10. Issues: it’s good to think about what the other side might be interested in because you can then play to them.
11. Non-Legal Options: eh.
11. Standards: Kelly Blue Book values, salary survey’s, employee handbook guidelines, etc.
12. Distributive Bargaining Plan: This is something I do in my head very quickly and easily. I obsess over options.
13. Optimal Settlement: You know what optimal is if you’ve thoroughly considered all the questions above.
14. Why: n/a
15. Open: Knowing how you’re going to open is good so you’re not caught off guard.
16. Why: n/a
17. Target: “You can’t always get what you want…”
18. Why: “and if you try sometime you find you get what you need.”
19. Resistance Point: Know when the stakes change
20. Why: Because you need to know what you’re willing to give.
21. Concession Points: n/a
22. Other Side: What have they got up their sleeve?
23. Our BATNA:
24. Their BATNA:
25. Our WATNA:
26. Their WATNA:
27. No Deal:
30. Want to Know:
31. Confidential Facts: